by: Fred Steele
The Metanoia Minute
Monthly Prayer Requests and Ministry Updates
In This Issue:
Greeting • Updates • Prayer Requests • Travel Schedule • Events • Media • About
July is the month we celebrate Independence Day and we fire up the grill for some BBQ. For many of us, there will be a vacation away from home, a time to spend with family and friends.
For our brothers and sisters in prison, July is simply another month on the calendar. There won't be any grilling and little celebrating. No vacations away from the cell-block and probably little family interaction.
This month, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, would you stop for a moment and pray for our Christian family who reside behind the walls, fences and razor wire? "Remember the prisoners as if chained with them, and those who are mistreated, since you yourselves are in the body also." Heb. 13:3.
July Updates and Praises
- Metanoia held its annual Face-to-Face board meeting June 12-14. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and meeting time. Praise be to God for the Board He has given us!
- From June 24-28 I was in Dallas, TX for the PCA's General Assembly. I had many good conversations about ministry to prisoners.
- While at the PCA's General Assembly, Metanoia had 4 staff members present and one board member present! We were well-represented!
- I was asked to be in a video called "Voices of the PCA". That video should be out sometime in the next 10 months.
- Praise God for His work in our Mentor Ministry. We have been mentoring now for 7 years. Our recidivism rate for mentees released during this time is 2.6%! Life-on-life mentoring is having an impact.
July Prayer Requests
- Please pray for more students for the correspondence ministry. Pray, too, that our relationships with students will go deep.
- Please pray for each of our staff: Shelly Marshall: Correspondence Ministry Administrator, John Theoharis: Associate Coordinator, Randy Jackson, Regional Director NW Georgia, Tim McCracken, Regional Director, San Joaquin Valley, Paul Miller, Regional Director, N Texas, Tony Rogers, Regional Director, SC, Barry Smith, Regional Director, FL and MINTS Seminary Coordinator, Steven Howell, Mentor Ministry Administrator
- Please pray for student longevity in the correspondence ministry. We want to work with students as long as possible.
- Please pray for more mentors at each of our mentor sites. Pray that God will raise up laborers for this ministry.
- Please continue to pray that God will provide the necessary finances for the ministry He has called us to do.
- Please pray for safe travel mercies for our family as we go on vacation this month.
- 9-23: Lockport, NY, Addison, NY, Elkhart Lake, WI: Family Vacation!
- 26-28: Greenville, SC: Mentor training.
I thought it might be good for you to be aware of various events that we are scheduling so that you can both pray for us, and attend if you find yourself in the area. Here are the events on the calendar thus far:
- July 10-24: KY, NY, IN, WI: Family Vacation!
Videos & Interviews
MNA-Metanoia Prison Ministries has been blessed with some videos that were produced by Genesis One Productions, with the help of Christ Covenant Church. Andy Caldwell directed, shot and edited the videos, and I think he did a fantastic job. You can watch the videos here: Metanoia Video and Metanoia Video 2. Please let me know what you think. Also, please visit Ligonier.org and watch another video here: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/metanoia-prison-ministries/
If you would like to listen to an interview by Dan Frye of A Rebel's Cause Radio, you can watch or listen here: http://www.sermonaudio.com/playpopup.asp?SID=31312142251
If you are interested in listening to the podcast interview with William Hill of Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary's Confessing our Hope podcast, it can be heard here: http://www.gpts.edu/podcast/Broadcast7_(Casson).mp3
In 2017 I was interviewed by Eric Nevins, who hosts the podcast, "Halfway There". You can listen to his interview here: http://ericnevins.com/podcast/halfwaythere/037/
Mark Casson is a husband, father, businessman, author and PCA Ruling Elder who also happens to have spent over 15 years serving a life sentence in California's prison system. He is the Director of Metanoia Prison Ministries and the Director of Prison Ministry for Mission to North America. Mark is a sought-after speaker who has taken the gospel of grace to high schools, college campuses, prisons and churches. He has a passion for mercy ministry to prisoners that is infectious.
His beautiful wife, Raylene has been a school teacher for more than 20 years and has taught in Bolivia, Canada, and the U.S. in both Christian and public schools. Raylene currently works as a first grade teacher in the Hamilton County School District in Chattanooga, TN.
They have two precious daughters. Eliana is 10 years old and has played in CA, NY, FL, MT, UT, OR, ID, NV, AZ, NM, TX, OK., TN, SC, HI, WI, GA, SD, WY, AL and MN. She loves her little sister, Joelle, who is 7. Their daddy calls them his beloved rapscallions.